Sunday, September 5, 2010

62. Chill of Fear - Kay Hooper

#8 Bishop/Special Crime Unit series
Audio read by Dick Hill
Brilliance Audio, 2005
8 unabridged cds
9 hrs.
368 pages
Rating: 2

This is a mystery solved by two psychics - one of them, Quentin Hayes, is an FBI agent. Psychics make up the Special Crime Unit. Apparently every psychic has different abilities, and with Quentin's help, Diana Brisco discovers that she hasn't been crazy her whole life, she is actually a medium that can go into the freezing cold "gray" world and talk to the spirits of the dead.

The setting for this story is at a fancy-schmansy resort in the boonies of Tennessee. Murder after murder has taken place ever since the place had been built, and it's time to solve them. Of course they do, though it takes forever to get to the end, and then it's done.

I won't say I don't believe in the paranormal (actually, I don't think I do), but I guess I really like mysteries of reality, gritty reality. And I wanted more characterization. It certainly passed the time back and forth between school and home, but I can't say this sort of story is my cup of tea. Maybe if Iwere a believer....

No comments: