Thursday, August 20, 2009

MOVIE - The Time Traveler's Wife

Better than expected
Released Aug. 14, 2009
PG-13 (1:48)
El Con with Kate and Sheila
RT: 36% cag: 89%
Director: Robert Schwentke
Eric Bana, Rachel McAdams

It made perfect sense to me, the book took me lots longer to figure out (and I read the book ages ago, so it wasn't that my "exceptional" memory helped me out at all). Some friends loved it, some didn't like it much, some didn't like it at all. It was supposed to be really sad. So I didn't think I'd like it. Wasn't even looking forward to going to the movies! Yes, tears rolled down my cheeks quite a bit. But I though this was great story-telling, and I loved the two leads as well as the young ladies who played the daughter. They had to have been sisters, they looked so much alike. Good, solid entertainment, but it left me drained.

Henry has a weird genetic honomoly that makes him travel forward and backward in time. He has no control over it, and although it usually takes place for a brief amount of time, sometimes it's for longer. He meets Clare on one of these trips, when she is a young child. They meet again and again until they finally meet in "real" time. It's a love story. A good one. She is beautiful. He is beautiful. Time well spent.

No comments: