Monday, March 30, 2009

The Best Book to Read - Debbie Bertram & Susan Bloom

Illustrator: Michael Garland
2008
Rating: 4
$14.99

Hooray! It's a trip to the library today.
We line up as we get off the bus.
We've been specially invited. Our class is excited!
The librarian is welcoming us.

Same kind of rhyme and rhythm as my all-time favorite, Taxi Dog. The librarian shows them different genres of books, proving there's a book that will appeal to everyone; Obedience Training by Professor Barker, Make it Yourself by Martha Muffins, Blast Off! by Ricky Rocket.

Michael Garland's illustration are colorful and the faces are fun and full of expression. And he made me chuckle aloud - near the end of the story, all of the children are standing together, showing the cover of the book they chose to check out. Among the many that the librarian shared with the kids are a few others - first I reckognized the cover of a real book, Dinner at Magritte's--illustrated by...Michael Garland, then noticed he's stuck in others he's illustrated as well. I love this clever touch!

These author sisters - they call themselves "The Write Sisters" - have collaborated on other books about reading, too. Might be fun to check out. And as I write this, I remember that I had dinner one night while at a children's literature conference at Cambridge with a Susan Bloom, who I believe wrote a book about children's lit. Coincidence? I'll have to look it up!

No comments: