Monday, September 15, 2008

MOVIE: The House Bunny

Rating: Extremely silly
Viewed: Sept. 14, 2008
Foothills Mall
Rotten Tomato Rating: 40 (Splat)
My Rating: A bit less (25?)
EW: C+ cag: C
People Rating: 2/4
Genre: Comedy
PG-13 (1 hr. 37 min.)
Director: Fred Wolf

It wasn't an hour and 37 minutes of misery, as I half expected. The lead, Anna Faris savid us from that. She did a wonderful job, She carried the whole movie, I think. I went knowing it would be stupid, stereotypical, etc, and I wasn't wrong in that respect. But I was entertained, often chuckling out-loud.

Shelley is a favored playboy bunny living in the Playboy Mansion with all its amenities. The morning after her over-the-top 27th birthday party, she is asked to leave because of her age. She is now homeless, jobless, and clueless. She sees a sorority house on an unknown campus and realizes it's a mini Playboy Mansion. She then becomes the house mother to the freak and geek sorority, Zeta, which has seven members and is about to be kicked off campus because they can never get anyone to pledge them. Enter Shelley. Makeovers and crazy parties later...voila!

Shelley meets Oliver, a pleasant young man (Collin Hanks). who works at a nursing home. Their awkward relationship and Shelley's uncertainty in dealing with someone who is oblivious to her sexy come-ons were my favorite parts of the movie. I also love the way Shalley changes her voice when saying people's names whenever she's learning to remember them. She throws this in throughout the movie, adding more chuckles.

I was alarmed when the girls became clones of the opposing sorority.....but after the realization, didn't quite return enough from that state.

What dismayed me the most? I guess it's the way that several of the seven "freaks" were portrayed. I loved the pierced, aghast _________(I'm horrible at remembering names), but the change in her was horrendous. I think the farm girl from Idaho could have been an absolute riot, but when she went up to the guys at the pool table, her talk with them was really stupid and, if it had had different subject matter, could have been great. There was so much stereotyping that it was nauseating. Come on, the world is not entirely filled with such stereotypical guys. And the opposing sorority! ? ! Oh well. That's entertainment. The movie's sure making money and I went to see it, myself, right?

No comments: