Sunday, May 1, 2016

MOVIE - The Hateful Eight

R (2:47)
Wide release 12/30/2015
Viewed May 1, 2016 at Kolb cheapie
RT Critic: 75   Audience:  77
Critic's Consensus:  The Hateful Eight offers another well-aimed round from Quentin Tarantino's signature blend of action, humor, and over-the-top violence -- all while demonstrating an even stronger grip on his filmmaking craft.
Cag:  4 - I liked it a lot more than I should have...
Directed by Quentin Tarantino
The Weinstein Company

Kurt Russell, Samuel L. Jackson, Walton Goggins, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Tim Roth, Bruce Dern, Channinng Tatum

RogerEbert.com review here.  2 stars

My comments:  Well, I'd heard this was excessively bloody and violent, so although I had been intrigued when I first heard of it, I decided not to go.  However, wanting to see a movie today and there being not many that I hadn't seen, I chose to go to this. It's been out for awhile and this'll probably be the last I could see it on "the big screen" Ha!  I'm so glad I did!  Yes, bloody and violent...but really funny.  Hey, it's a Quentin Taratino film, that should have tipped me off right away.  I am a peace lover.  Through and through.  But I really enjoyed this movie.  I looked at all the blood and guts as great makeup jobs and all the violence as ridiculous and  stupid and added almost as "gags."  So, with all the jokes and funny places, I didn't flinch once!  And it was a funny movie.  A little slow in places, I've got to admit.  And Jennifer Jason Leigh, who is definitely NOT one of my favorite actresses, was GREAT!

RT SummaryWyoming in the 1870s. A stagecoach is heading towards the town of Red Rock with two passengers onboard. One is John "Hangman" Ruth (played by Kurt Russell), a celebrated bounty hunter. The other is Daisy Domergue (Jennifer Jason Leigh), his prisoner and wanted for murder. Along the way they pick up another bounty hunter, Major Marquis Warren (Samuel L Jackson), and Chris Mannix (Walton Goggins). Due to a blizzard they are forced to hole up in a store some way out of town with the occupants of another stagecoach. Suspicions commence and Civil War enmities are reawakened.

No comments: