Saturday, January 23, 2010

First Food Fight This Fall (and Other School Poems) - Marilyn Singer

Illustrated by Sachiko Yoshikawa
Sterling, 2008
$14.95
40 pages
My rating: 4
Endpapers: "Snapshots" of each of the 12 kids who "write" these poems about their school life in Ms. Mundy's class

Subjects and people and the playground, the classroom and celebrations and poetry -- all are creatively presented. This is a perfect fun 3rd/4th grade collection of poems that tell a story.

The illustrations are bright, the text is on top of and part of the illustration. Picture and poems work together so well.

Field Trip

Look at this painting, that color, this line.
Look at that tiger, so different from ine.
Look at the walls, at the ceiling, the floor.
Art everywhere! In the next room there's more!
Boats in the harbor, a girls with a cup...
Will I be an artist when I grow up?
Will they hang my pictures where people can see 'em
When they take a trip to this super museum?

Spring Me!

Silly
bee bumping
the window, let's
trade places. You want to come
in and work. I want to go out
and play.

What woke me? It might
have been a robin. It might
have been a poem.

No comments: