Monday, January 18, 2010

2010 ALA Awards -Caldecott Newbery Printz

The BIG ANNOUNCEMENTS were made this morning. For once, not many surprises for Caldecott or Newbery....

CALDECOTT
Congratulations Jerry Pinkney! ! !For the first time EVER I picked it! This is truly the most magnificent picture book this year. How could it not win??? Just look at the cover! It's a completely wordless picture book that tells the story perfectly. Here's my review from September. And here's the ALA announcement site.

Winner:
The Lion and the Mouse by Jerry Pinkney

Honor books:
All the World by Liz Garton Scanlon and illustrated by Marla Frazee. I love it. Here's my review.

Red Sings from Treetops by Joyce Sidman and illustrated by Zagarenski. I just created a script from this book that my fourth graders will present next Saturday night to their parents. YeeHa!

NEWBERY
Okay, this probably would not have been my pick. Here's my review. It was a good book, though, for sure. Here's the ALA Announcement site.

Winner:
When You Reach Me
by Rebecca Stead

Honor Books:
Claudette Colvin; Twice Toward Justice
by Philip Hoose
The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate by Jacqueline Kelly
Where the Mountain Meets the Moon by Grace Lin
The Mostly True Adventures of Homer P. Figg by Rodman Philbrick

PRINTZ
On Wednesday, at my TARC book discussion, this book was brought up. The only thing I remember being said is that it was, "really, really strange."

Winner:
Going Bovine by Libba Bray

Honors:
Charles and Emma, the Darwin's Leap of Faith by Deborah Heiligman
The Monstrumologist by Rick Yancey
Punkzilla by Adam Rapp
Tales of the Madman Underground: An Historical Romance, 1973 by John Barnes

No comments: