Friday, September 16, 2016

MOVIE - Star Trek Beyond

PG-13 (2:02)
Wide release 7/22/16
Viewed Friday, 9/16/16 at Century Park Place
RT Critic: 83   Audience:  83
Critic's Consensus:  Star Trek Beyond continues the franchise's post-reboot hot streak with an epic sci-fi adventure that honors the series' sci-fi roots without skimping on the blockbuster action.
Cag:  2: BORING but okay
Directed by Justin Linn
Studio Paramount Pictures

Chris Pine, Zoe Saldana

My comments:  I love sci-fi.  I've always enjoyed Star Trek.  But for this one no stretching-of-the-imagination could help explain (and shorten) all the chase/fight/zapping scenes - which make up about 80% of the movie.  The remaining 20% was delightful, fun and funny, lots of tongue-in-cheek, clever, eye-rolling reparte...but I couldn't WAIT for it to end.  Ho hum....

Fandango Summary:  In this third installment of the rebooted Star Trek film series (which began with J.J. Abrams's Star Trek in 2009), Captain Kirk (Chris Pine) struggles with a personal crisis as he and the crew of the Enterprise are attacked by a dictator named Krall (Idris Elba). When an assault by Krall leads to the destruction of their starship, the team end up marooned on a remote planet inhabited by aliens both hostile and helpful.  Star Trek Beyond is dedicated to both Leonard Nimoy (who passed away in 2015) and Yelchin (who died after filming concluded).

No comments: