Friday, April 6, 2012

25. Wildwater Walking Club - Claire Cook

read by Kymberly Dakin
6 unabridged discs (7:45)
2009 BBC Audiobooks America

Setting:  contemporary Massachusetts seashore community
OSS:
1st line/s:  "On the day I became redundant, I began to walk.  Okay, not right away.  First I lay in bed and savored the sound of the alarm not going off.  I'd been hearing that stupid beep at the same ridiculous time pretty much every workday morning for the entire eighteen years I'd worked at Balancing Act Shoes."

The narrator of this story reminds me of the voiceover commercial voice of a local ambulance-chaser law firm ad.  In some places it is SO not what I want to hear, putting a slower cadence with drawn-out wording that gives a different affectation than of what I'm hearing in my head.  Oh well, the story was okay, and I also had the book ot look at, so I read over some of the parts I'd listened to in the car.

No comments: