Monday, March 8, 2010

Stuck in the mud

I've spent three weeks coughing. Three weeks reading three different books that I just couldn't get into. No movies with this cough. I've only been to the library once in all that time. And it's rained. And rained. Gray. Chilly. Overcast. Burst water connection gushing a river down my front yard into the street. And report cards are due. I need a vacation, some warmth to get rid of this cough, some SUNSHINE, and a book that I can get into. Bring it on!

Okay, I read half of The 39 Clues Book 2, One False Note. Nobody trusts anybody. I don't like a single character. I've made the big decision to not read this series. Why spend all that time when I just don't like it?




I got about halfway through White Picket Fences, a Novel (Susan Meissner), and have decided to put it aside, too. The premise of the book really attracted me - a Holocaust connection to an "average" contemporary American family, and a mystery related to the 16 year old son, who happens to be a pretty decent filmmaker. A niece who's father has disappeared somewhere in Poland. And a Tucson connection. It was sooooo slow, though. So why bother?

And the third book seemed to have so many possibilities - Chicks With Sticks, It's a Purl Thing by Elizabeth Lenhard. Got to page 100 in this one, but found myself making choices to wash the dishes instead of reading -- that should have clued me in immediately that I had to pick up another book instead. Every book is not going to pull in every reader, right?

I haven't even read any good picture books lately. Can't seem to find any 2010 titles, where are they?

The rain is supposed to stop by the end of the week. Grades are due on Wednesday. I'm hoping I wake up Thursday morning to sunshine, optimism, and a good story. Think I need that the most!

1 comment:

Jackie J said...

As fans of your site and reviews, the HarperCollins Children's Books publicity team would love to get direct contact information and work with you in the future. Can you confirm what types of books you are interested in reviewing so that we can send you ones that are suited for your site?