Saturday, March 27, 2010

Brand-New Baby Blues - Kathi Appelt

Illustrated by Kelly Murphy
Harper, 2010
$16.99
"ages 3-6"
32 pages
Endpapers: Almost-dark blue

Yay for Kathi Appelt, one terrific poet!
"Once upon a time
I was the only one,
I was the cat's pajamas,
I was the moon and sun.

It was me and only me --
I was the icing on the cake.
I was the royal pooh-bah,
the chocolate in the shake.

Now everything is different,
everything is changed.
I'm not the one and only.
My whole life's rearranged.

Those good ol' days are over.
It's official, it's the news!
With my brand-new baby brother
came the brand-new baby blues!"

I think I'll wait until Ella's new baby brother is a few months old before I read this to her, I don't want her to get any preconceived ideas. The story goes on to show all the attention that a new baby gets, but eventually comes to the place where the girl realizes that once her baby brother is no longer a baby she'll have a great playmate!

Super rhyme and rhythm.Cute illustrations - particularly all the facial expressions that totally accentuate the story. Fun.

No comments: