Monday, March 15, 2010

MOVIE - The Ghost Writer

Kept me engrossed and thinking
Limited release 2-19-2010
PG-13 (2 hrs 8 min)
Friday 3/12/2010 at ElCon by myself (only coughed once)
RT: 81% cag: I'll go with that...
Fandango: 77/100
Director: Roman Polanski
Ewan McGregor, Pierce Brosnan, Kim Catrall

Set on an island off Cape Cod (Martha's Vineyard?) Ewan McGregor's character has been hired to ghostwrite the memoirs of former British prime minister Adam Lang (Brosnan). However, as soon as he arrives at the elegant digs on the northern Atlantic shore and discovers the circumstances surrounding his predecessor's demise he becomes enmeshed in a mystery. What's going on? An ex-aide of the prime minister has just accused him of war crimes. There's a mystery surrounding the past life of Lang. And there's the mystery of the predecessor's death. McGregor digs in and tries to figure it all out. I still have a couple of questions, but it's a movie after all, and kept me immersed and content for a couple of hours. The acting was good, the story was interesting, the setting was particularly interesting.....I'm glad I went!

1 comment:

sheila said...

Do you mean 3-12, Chris? We saw it last week and really liked it too. Read somewhere that the setting was someplace in Europe, since Polanski can't come to this country. Besides, the water just didn't look like real ocean.