Monday, May 26, 2014

30. The Power of Six - Pittacus Lore

#2 in the Lorien Legacies series
listened to on my phone through Overdrive audio/ TPPL
audio read by two readers: Neil Kaplan and Marisol Ramirez (NOTE:  Although I liked having two voices, Neil Kaplan made Sam sound like the idiot-boy from Scooby Doo and I hated the way he read Six's female voice.  Marisol Ramirez did an outstanding job reading Seven. But I think it was Kaplan's reading that made my rating an "okay" not a good.....)
2011 Harper Collins
406 pgs.
YA SciFi/Dystopia
Finished 5/26/2014
Goodreads Rating: 4.18
My Rating: 2 (It was okay)
Setting: Florida, West Virginia, Spain
First sentence/s:  "My name is Marina, as of the sea.  But I wasn't called that until much later.  In the beginning I was known merely as Seven."

My comments:  Well, this was certainly an action-packed addition to the series.  The story flip flops back and forth between Seven, who is in Spain, and Four, who is with Six and his friend Sam on the east coast of the U.S.  There was definitely a lot of battling going on, with monsters and meanies and bad guys galore. Near the end of the book we meet Nine and Ten (Ella) and you know that the next book may reunite all seven of the remaining Loriens.  Too much battling for this old lady.  But it sure would make a great action-packed movie for middle-schoolers, although I've heard after the lousy reception of I Am Number Four on the big screen, future movies have been put on hold.

Goodreads Summary:  Nine of us came here, but sometimes I wonder if time has changed us—if we all still believe in our mission. How can I know? There a re six of us left. We're hiding, blending in, avoiding contact with one another . . . but our Legacies are developing, and soon we'll be equipped to fight. Is John Number Four, and is his appearance the sign I've been waiting for? And what about Number Five and Six? Could one of them be the raven-haired girl with the stormy eyes from my dreams? The girl with powers that are beyond anything I could ever imagine? The girl who may be strong enough to bring the six of us together?

No comments: