Monday, May 5, 2014

MOVIE - Bad Words

R (1:29)
Wide release 3/28/2014
Viewed Sunday 5/4/2014 at Century Gateway
RT Critic: 63 Audience: 70
Cag: 5/I've gotta say I really loved it
Directed by Jsaon Bateman! !
Focus Features

Jason Bateman, Alison Janney

My Comments:  This totally cracked me up.  I loved it.  Some of the antics that Mr. Trilby pulled against the kids were just plain mean and horrible ... but totally funny. I'm ashamed of myself for thinking they were funny  but they were (one review called it "seriously funny and gleefully amoral").  The relationship between Trilby and the reporter that's following him around, trying to get his story, is a riot.  The whole movie is a freakin' riot (and I'm a tiny bit ashamed that I felt this way, to laugh at totally inapporpriate, politically incorrect jokes that would probably make me totally indignant if I heard them for real.) !  Jason Bateman was perfect for this part, he really pulled it off.  

Reviews  Jason Bateman makes his feature directorial debut with the subversive comedy Bad Words. Mr. Bateman stars as Guy Trilby, a 40-year-old who finds a loophole in the rules of The Golden Quill national spelling bee and decides to cause trouble by hijacking the competition. Contest officials, outraged parents, and overly ambitious 8th graders are no match for Guy, as he ruthlessly crushes their dreams of victory and fame. As a reporter (Kathryn Hahn of We're the Millers) attempts to discover his truemotivation, Guy finds himself forging an unlikely alliance with a competitor: awkward 10-year-old Chaitanya (Rohan Chand of Homeland), who is completely unfazed by Guy's take-no-prisoners approach to life.

No comments: