Sunday, January 31, 2021

Postcards Received From New Mexico

2068.  High Desert of New Mexico
"Woman Reading" Picasso
1 June 2021
Hello from the high desert of New Mexico.  I agree you have a great job!  My first (though unpaid) job was in the library ofn my dad's military post.  Lifelong love affair with books.  Hope this card is quirky enough.  Be safe.  'abqgranny' Diane

 2032. Greetings from Santa Fe!
I've worked with teens for many years and one of my favorite books of all-time to connect with them is The Absolutely True Diary of a Part Time Indian by Sherman Alexie.  It's poignant and hysterical.  Alexic also wrote a powerful memoir called You Don't Have to Say You Love Me that I couldn't put down.  I also love There There by Tommy Orange, who studied at IAIA in Santa Fe.   -Nola

966.  Albuquerque, New Mexico
Albuquerque is an ideal location for this exciting event because of something called "the box," which is a set of predictable wind patterns that can be exploited to navigate the balloons.  Higher elevations tend to be northerly while lower elevations are normally southerly and the balloonists use this theory to navigate their balloons in a sox-like shape staying in the are to show off their wild and wonderful creations to the enthusiastic fans below.
Best wishes from Albuquerque, New Mexico.  Every October my city hosts the biggest in the world, International Hot Air Balloon Festival.  The sky is filled with balloons and the city with thousands of visitors.  Fall colors are spectacular!  14 October 2017

No comments: