Friday, July 21, 2017

More particularly cool postcards - Received 7/13 through 7/21/16

807.  Chisholm, Minnesota USA
Day of the Dead
"A male skeleton dressed in a charro outfit wielding a machete, accompanied by a drunken skeleton."  Illustrations by J. Posada, 1910
Hi Chris,  Our gardening season is in full swing!  It is good to have fresh food from the gardenand look forward to enjoying the surplus - canned or frozen - in the winter!  Enjoy your summer away from triple digits and fires.


808.  Torun, Northern Poland
How are you doing?  I also like books and libraries - the atmosphere in there is special and so calming.  My 9 years old son's name is Chris.  I am trying to learn him that books are very important part of our life.  I hope he'll love books as much as I do.

809.  Greetings from Slovenia

810.  Greetings from Japan! 
 Kyoto Tower is near the Kyoto Station.  Have you ever been to Japan?  You're very welcome to visit here at any time!

811.  India
Butea Monosperma (Palash) :  Flame of the Forest, commonly known as Palash, Tesu etc. is native to India.  It is a medium-siuzed tree, 20 - 40 feet high.  The flowers are 2.5 cm. long, bright orange-red.   It is said that the tree is a form of Agni Dev, the God of Fire.  It was a punishment given to Him by Goddess Parvati for disturbing her and Lord Shiva's privacy.  The tree has lent its name to the town of Palashi in West Bengal, famous for the historic Battle of Plassey fought here.  The flowers are used to prepare a traditional Holy colour.  It is also used as a dyeing colour for fabric.  India Post has brought out a stamp on this flower.

812.  Alberta, CANADA
"April and June dig up an old friend"
Happy 241st birthday to your awesome country!!  America doesn't look a day over 200, she's aging beautifully.  Canada turned 150 on July 1st, but that's not as impressive at 241.  Eat a hotdog and light some fireworks for me!

813.  Apolda, Germany
I got this postcard at the [can't read} 4th Horticultural show.  It's a huge gardening event currently hosted by my hometown,
Apolda.

814. Russia 
Ivan Bilibin, Russian Artist (1876 - 1942)
On postcard illustration of the famous Russian artist Bilibin.  he created wonderful illustrations of fairy tales.  It is possible that you library has a book with his illustrations.

815.  Belarus
20 years of postage stamps

817.  Moscow, Russia
Good day!  I live in Valuga.  It's not far from Moscow.  We're proud of Cosmonautics State Museum.  I love art, puzzles, rock music, psychology.

818.  Bronnitsy, Russia
Hi!  My name is Yulia.  I am 18 years old.  I live in the suburbs of oscow.  this year I finished school and I want to connect my life with medicine.  What is your dream?

819.  Germany
"Bills and Love Letters"
This box looks similar to the German post boxes: both are yellow.  But they have no different "entrances" for bills or love letters. :)  Maybe then it would give more love letters.

No comments: