Thursday, December 2, 2010

MOVIE - Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows Part 1

This part of the book dragged for me, the movie certainly didn't!
Released 11-19-10
PG- 13 (2:27)
12-2-10 with Sheila at El Con
RT: 79% Flixter: 88% cag:
from the book by J. K. Rowling
Part 2 coming this summer (I think it's all finished and ready to go.)
Director: David Yates

I liked this movie much more than I thought I would. The first half of the book dragged for me. The movie was really well done, interesting, thoughtful. The setting was magnificent - from the oceanside to the deep forest. I missed Hogwarts, though.

There were some parts that were quite memorable. When Hermione reads from Beedle the Bard there is a cut paper, shadow box-like diorama that is quite captivating and the perfect way to accompany the story.

Then there is a scene where Harry and Hermione are really uptight, wary, scared, waiting in the tent in the middle of the forest, and they take off the Horcrux and dance to a song on Ron's radio. They laugh, they show the deep friendship they share. It's quite wonderful, actually.

And then there's wonderful Helena Bonham Carter as Bellatrix Lestrange. She nails this part, she's so good, I giggle whenever she appears. Bravo!

There were a few places that were ... fuzzy. When the three friends first wait it out at the safe house, Harry finds a piece of paper that leads them to their next (actually, first, I think) clue. I remember from the book how he found it under a dresser in Sirius' room, but it skips from them being in the room to sitting around a table reading the note. If I hadn't read -- and remembered -- this part of the book, I would have been scratching my head. I hate parts that are just....weird. This was. Oh well.

Love the movie. I actually enjoyed this one more than the book!

No comments: