Sunday, September 14, 2008

Stella, Unleashed - Linda Ashman

POETRY
Notes from the Doghouse
Illustrator: Paul Meisel
For: Kids of all ages
Pub: 2008
Rating: 5 ***A New Favorite
Read (and purchased!): Sept. 13, 2008
Endpapers: Full double-page illustration of a hole in a garden with a bone sticking out! A

I stumbled upon this in the kid's poetry section at Barnes and Noble last night - it must be new - and I read it twice. I wish I knew some little kids with a dog, because the poems are wonderful. They're full of clever rhyme and great rhythm, from Stella the dog's point-of-view. 29 poems like "Don't Blame Me," "Hollywood Dog," "Dispatch from the Front Lawns" and :

WATER!

I swim in the ocean,
no matter how rough.
In rivers and lakes --
I can't get enough!

When I see a pool,
I dive like a sub.
I LOVE the water --
but not in the tub.

THE (almost) PERFECT HOST

I welcome guests with friendliness
(unlike the snooty cat).
Trouble is, I greet so well,
I sometimes knock them flat.

Colorful, edge-to-edge illustrations are delightful, truly enhancing the poetry. My favorite picture book so far this year! ! !

I found an interesting review and interview with the author at http://wildrosereader.blogspot.com/2008/04/stella-unleashed-poetry-book-review.html

Linda Ashman's website includes teacher lesson plan ideas! http://www.lindaashman.com/work2.htm

No comments: