Saturday, September 13, 2008

The Boy Who Was Raised by Librarians - Carla Morris

Illustrator: Brad Sneed
For: Kids and Library Lovers
Pub: 2007
Rating: Fun
Read: Sept. 12, 2008

Every now and then a theme, a storylilne, illustations, strike you just right....come together really well to make you sit up and say, "oh that was super." That's what this book did for me. I picked it up because I loved the cover drawing - a boy with unruly hair and glasses peeking through a shelf of books. Written by a children's librarian fom Utah, this book was a delight.

Melvin (?!?) spends every afternoon in the Livingston Public Library. He reads and reads and asks questions. Three librarians help him and teach him and guide him through the years. We watch Melvin grow up. with evolving interests and endless curiousity. We see Betty and Marge and Leeola age with him. We see them attend Melvin's graduation. And at the end, we see Melvin return to the Livingston Library - as a librarian.

I love libraries. I love books. I really enjoyed the story and thoroughly enjoyed Brad Sneed's illustrations. A winner!

No comments: