Sunday, December 16, 2018

PICTURE BOOK - The Read Aloud Treasury Compiled by Joanna Cole & Stephanie Calmenson

This book is an "oldy but goodie" and out-of-print (though there are many used copies to be had at a very reasonable price.  This book is a great book for a new baby!
Illustrated by Ann Schweninger
1988, Doubleday Book for Young Readers
256 pgs.
Goodreads rating:   4.17
My rating:  5
Endpapers Speckled pale sage


My comments: 32 nursery rhymes, 30 poems for babies, toddlers, and pre-schoolers, 13 stores that are actually the original books with the original illustrations (Little Bear Goes to the Moon, Sylvester and the Magic Pebble, Angus and the Cat, Cordouroy, and traditional stories like Goldilocks and the Three Bears, The Three Billy Goats Gruff....and so much more.  A delightful book.

Goodreads:  The "Read-Aloud Treasury" makes finding good children's literature easy. It includes over thirty popular Mother Goose rhymes; poetry from renowned authors like Arnold Lobel and Jack Prelutsky; world-famous picture stories, many with their original illustrations. "A lively and surprisingly inclusive treasury... Schweninger's full-color illustrations complement and enhance the positive and inviting tone of this collection." -- "Publishers Weekly."

The Popcorn Hop

Put your popcorn
     in a pot.
Wait till it gets
     really hot.
When you start to
     feel the heat,
Listen for the
     popcorn beat:
Pop-pop-POP-pop,
     pop-pop-POP!
Come and do the
      popcorn hop!

          Stephanie Calmenson

Rain

The rain is raining all around,
     It falls on field and tree,
It rains on the umbrellas here,
     And on the ships at sea.

          Robert Louis Stevenson

Mud

I like mud.
       I like it on my clothes.
I like it on my fingers.'
         I like it on my toes.

Dirt's pretty ordinary
          And dust's a dud.
For a really good mess-up
          I like mud.

               John Smith

Barnyard Chat

"Honk, honk."
"Oink, oink."
"Meow, meow."
"Neigh."

Cluck, cluck."
"Woof, woof."
"Gobble, gobble."
"Bray!"

"Baa, baa."
"Hoot, hoot."
"Cckle, cackle."
"Moo.,"

"Quack, quack."
"Peep, peep."
"Cock-a-doodle-doo!"

                Stephanie Calmenson

A House is a House for Me

A hill is a house for an ant, an ant.
A hive is a house for a bee.
A hole is a house for a mole or a mouse
And a house is a house for me!

A garage is a house for a car or a truck,
A hangar's a house for a plane.
A dock or a slip is a house for a ship
And a terminal's a house for a train.

The cookie jar's home to the cookies.
The breadbox is home to the bread.
My coat is a house for my body.
My hat is a house for my head.

A glove is a house for a hand, a hand.
A stocking's a house for a knee.
A shoe or a boot is a house for a foot
And a house is a house for me!

                        Mary Ann Hoberman

Fuzzy Wuzzy

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a bear;
Fuzzy Wuzzy had no hair.
Fuzzy Wuzzy wasn't fuzz,
Was he?

               Traditional

No comments: