Thursday, February 22, 2018

MOVIE - Phantom Thread

R (2:10)
Wide release 1/19/18, another that was difficult to find nearby
Viewed date 2/22/2018
IMBd:  7.6
RT Critic:  91  Audience:  69
Critic's Consensus:  Phantom Thread's finely woven narrative is filled out nicely by humor, intoxicating romantic tension, and yet another impressively committed performance from Daniel Day-Lewis.
Cag:  Did I hate it?  Did I like it?  I'm not sure...but 6 months later I still remember what happened, so it's certainly stayed with me!
Directed by Paul Thomas Anderson
Focus Features

Daniel Day-Lewis

My comments:  Okay, I have no idea how to rate this movie.  I guess I liked it.  I had absolutely no idea what it was about other than that Daniel Day Lewis was some sort of famous fashion designer 60 years ago.  I love quirky and odd, and this was certainly quirky and odd.  It is about one of the strangest relationships I have ever witnessed.  Everyone should see it without any spoilers because it's a bit ind-blowing.  And one that won't be easily forgotten.  But even now, after thinking about it and ruminating even more, I have no idea how to rate it.  I did like it, but I was unsettled by it.  Totally unsettled.


RT/ IMDb Summary:  Set in the glamour of 1950s post-war London, renowned dressmaker Reynolds Woodcock (Daniel Day-Lewis) and his sister Cyril (Lesley Manville) are at the center of British fashion, dressing royalty, movie stars, heiresses, socialites, debutants, and dames with the distinct style of The House of Woodcock. Women come and go through Woodcock's life, providing the confirmed bachelor with inspiration and companionship, until he comes across a young, strong-willed woman, Alma (Vicky Krieps), who soon becomes a fixture in his life as his muse and lover. Once controlled and planned, he finds his carefully tailored life disrupted by love.

No comments: