Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Late for School - Steve Martin

Illustrated by C. F. Payne
Grand Central Publications, 2010
Comes with a cd: $17.99
32 pages
Rating: 2/4(illust.)
endpapers: pale pink spongy look

This rhyming story doesn't rhyme well or have a great rhythm that I could get into. Some of the plot seems forced to make the rhyme. The plot is also a bit old -- hurrying to school only to find it's Saturday (I guess I've read Shel Silverstein too many times). I LOVE Steve Martin as an actor, but I didn't enjoy his short novel Shopgirl and I didn't enjoy this. I didn't get to hear the cd, since I read this at the bookstore, so that may be the redeeming factor. The written word just doesn't do it for me.

However, the illustruations are fun and funny - C.F. Payne captures great facial expressions on our exceptionally large-eared protagonist.

No comments: