Friday, October 30, 2009

MOVIE - A Serious Man

I adored this offbeat black comedy
Released Oct. 2, 2009
R (1:45)
10-29-09 at El Con with Sheila
RT: 85% cag: 93%
Director: Coen Brothers (Joel & Ethan)

Get ready to time travel to 1960's Minneapolis, full of Jefferson Airplane music, F-Troop, Rabbis, bar mitzvahs, and angst, angst, angst. Larry Gopnik, a color professor of physics, slowly watches his life unravel. SPOILER: Anti-semetic next-door-neighbors, mentally disturbed brother who's moved in with the family (and spends most of his day draining the cyst on the back of his neck), wife who is leaving him for an acquaintance, a Korean student who is trying to bribe him into giving him an unfailing grade, a pot-smoking, naked sunbathing next-door-neighbor, visits from the cops, many trips to his lawyer (Adam Arkin) and a number of rabbis...and on and on. We also see what's going on in his son's life, watch this junior version of dad.

Okay, it seems deranged to laugh at the horrible situations that happen to this guy. But you can't help it. It's not long before you realize the only thing you CAN do is laugh, and you sit back and enjoy the wreck of his life. There's quirkiness at every twist and turn. :What else could happen?" you keep asking yourself....and then you find out! This also has one of the best endings I've seen in a movie in a long, long, time.

I'm still thinking about the short beginning piece, which doesn't seem to have anything to do with the storyline at all. I've just about figured it out, though. It's put there to make you think, I'm sure.

Yup, loved it. I guess I'm a bit warped, 'cause you'd have to be, I think, to love this movie.

1 comment:

sheila said...

OH, you'll have to tell me what the beginning story means! We may go see tonight. Olivia just told me that she and T (they're definitely not warped) loved it too. So see, we're ok.