Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Sky Magic - Lee Bennett Hopkins

POETRY
Illustrated by Mariusz Stawarski
Dutton Children's/Penguin
$17.99
March, 2009
Rating: 4
Endpapers: Bright orange to pale orange, fading (top to bottom)

14 poems about the sun, moon, and stars - including Schertle, Dotlich, Heard, McCord, and Sandburg.

The illustrations, by polish artist Stawarski, are bright, dark colors, with a decidedly geometric feel, color everywhere...the only white is the font!

Sun
Soleiel!

I’m your star
center stage
the poem on your page
beauty
power
the beat ablaze

I amaze

I am the candle on your cake
a sparkler burning bright

I am light
splendor
bliss

at dawn, your kiss

tenderly,
I come to you
a diamond
on the morning dew

I am the wonder of all sky

I am the twinkle in your eye.

Lyn Littlefield Hoopes

Song
Sing to the sun
It will listen
And warm your words
Your joy will rise
Like the sun
And glow
Within you

Sing to the moon
It will hear
And soothe your cares
Your fears will set
Like the moon
And fade
Within you.

Ashley Bryan

No comments: