Thursday, July 16, 2009

MOVIE - Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

What can I say...we're talking about HARRY POTTER here!
PG
2 hrs. 33 min. (long)
Released July 15, 2009
El Con with Sheila OPENING DAY!
RT: 87% cag: 92%
Directed by: David Yates
Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson, Rupert Grint

My knees were jumpin' in excited anticipation as I sat in the crowded theater at 1:30 yesterday afternoon - and I was not to be disappointed. I love the Harry Potter music, by the way, I'd like to hear even more of it, I don't think it was included at the end of the movie, only at the beginning. Ah well, the movie....

Two hours and thirty-three minutes of a totally silent audience immersed in a "take me away" experience. The technical work is extraordinary. HOW DO THEY DO IT??? Crawling skeletal bodies; flames and fire and smoke; the spiraling, floating ink to get into that bowl of memories cauldron (this was also used for the end credits, very cool); incredible setting, inside and out of Hogwarts; and oh, that Quidditch scene. I repeat, how do they do it?

And oh, the head-first tumble into girls and snogging and hormones and all the good stuff that I love about working with adolescents-------and these actors are wonderful. Touching, funny (Ron Weasley/Ruper Grint is a riot!) and really, really fun to watch.

The up-and-down scales between the dark side and the light side of this movie were perfectly adjusted! I particularly loved getting a glimpse of Voldemort as a child. The cold Tom Riddle became much more of a reality. And Helen Bonham-Carter as Bellatrix....well, she's so good. She plays this sort of part so well....wasn't she Dr. Frankenstein's wife and the wacko woman with Johnny Depp in another recent movie? I'll have to look that up......Whatever.

Great entertainment on the grandest scale. Incredible storytelling. Special effects and costuming and sets that are just fantastic. What more could a person ask for in a movie????

No comments: