Thursday, June 4, 2009

No! - David McPhail

for older kids
Published March, 2009
Rating: 4
$16.95
Endpapers: glossy off-red

How do we stop bullying? Kids on a playground or countries at war? It's time to stop this craziness....that's what David McPhail is trying to say in this wordless story. (Well, wordless other than "no" and the words to a young boy's letter at the end of the book...)

A young boy sets out to mail a letter he has written to the president. Along the way he witnesses tanks and marching soldiers, bombs dropping and cops attacking. When he gets to the mailbox, a bully is waiting for him. He takes a stand. He says "No!" The bully backs down, tries to make amends. On his return trip home we see the same plane, cops, tanks....but they are all now participating in peaceful, helpful, positive activities.

I "read" this book three times. It made me think. Hard. When I went looking for a copy of the bookcover, I saw that it's recommended to ages 4-8. I disagree. This is also for older kids....and adults. It should be marketed to them, because they're the ones that should FOR SURE read it!

Just today, the headlines are that President Obama is speaking in Cairo with a message to the entire Moslem World. Mututal respect is what he requests. Thank you David McPhail AND President Obama. We must all start (or continue) on this quest! ! !

Hand-drawn borders leave a little white edge, his pen and ink and watercolors are lovely, though sad.

Another great title for my create-the-story-from -a-wordless-book lesson plan for 4th - 8th graders!

1 comment:

sheila said...

I want to read. Reminds me of Brook's Modern Mythographer post. I'm a fan of your blog now, Chris! I've always been your fan!