Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Birds - Kevin Henkes

Illustrated by Laura Dronzek
For: very young kids
2009
Rating: 5
$17.00
Endpapers: Pink

As I read this book, I knew that writer and illustrator had to have collaborated in its creation. Words and picture totally and completely go together. So when I read on the back flap that "they live with their chilfdren" I had an A-HA moment.

I liked this book. A lot. It really works. It tells short descriptions of what trees - cllouds - the air - look like with and without birds. However, I've got to say, It never "called out" to me. I walked by it in the library and book stores many times before actually picking it up.

"Sometimes, in winter,
a bird in a tree
looks like one red
leaf left over."
(It's a cardinal-on a bare tree-in the snow.)

One question. Why pink endpapers? Bleck!

No comments: