Wednesday, December 6, 2017

PICTURE BOOK - Luka's Quilt by Georgia Guback

Illustrated by the author
1994, Greenwillow Books
HC $16.99 - looks like it's still in print
32 pgs.
Goodreads rating:  3.35 - 49 ratings
My rating: 3.5
Endpapers: solid green, the color of the background of the quilt Tutu made for Luka
Illustrations are cut paper Collage!  Gorgeous
1st line/s:  "My tutu lives with us.  Tutu.  That's Hawaiian for grandmother.  Tutu takes care of me while Mom and Dad work.  We do lots of things together.  I like that, and so does Tutu.  But all that changed when the quilt came along."

My comments:  I loved the cut paper collage illustrations (gorgeous!) and the beautiful quilt that Tutu made for Luka.  I love all the information about Hawaii.  But I don't love that Luka's pretty much a spoiled little brat.  Nothing I can change about that, it's part of the story, and the story about making the quilt, and the leis, is super. Just don't like the kid.  At all.

Goodreads:  Luka and her grandmother Tutu are best friends until Luka shows her disappointment at the traditional Hawaiian quilt that Tutu makes for her. Tutu is hurt, Luka is upset, and things just aren't the same anymore. But when Lei Day comes, the two set aside there differences to enjoy the holiday.
          "Guback's storytelling proves as affable as her bright, intricate cut-paper collages." -- Publishers Weekly.

No comments: