Wednesday, December 27, 2017

PICTURE BOOK - Her Right Foot by Dave Eggers

Illustrated by Shawn Harris
2017, Chronicle Books, San Francisco
HC $19.99 (books are getting SO expensive!)
104 pgs.
Goodreads rating: 4.28 - 918 ratings
My rating:  5
Endpapers:  Cut paper of the fencing around the Statue (at least I think it's from somewhere on the island)
Illustrations:  All cut CONSTRUCTION paper, and India ink.
1st line/s:"You have likely heard of a place called France."

My comments:  I've decided that I like everything about this book.  How the text is talking directly to the reader.  The illustrations, which are created out of cut construction paper.  The message....oh yes, the message. I'm so glad I discovered this book, since our library has not (yet) purchased it....

Goodreads:  "I want to hold this book in one hand and a torch in the other and stand on an island someplace so everyone can see." —Lemony Snicket
     If you had to name a statue, any statue, odds are good you'd mention the Statue of Liberty. Have you seen her?
     She's in New York. 
     She's holding a torch. 
     And she's in mid-stride, moving forward. 
     But why?
In this fascinating, fun take on nonfiction, Dave Eggers and Shawn Harris investigate a seemingly small trait of America's most emblematic statue. What they find is about more than history, more than art. What they find in the Statue of Liberty's right foot is the powerful message of acceptance that is essential to an entire country's creation. 

No comments: