Tuesday, November 1, 2016

PICTURE BOOK - I am Rosa Parks by Brad Meltzer

Ordinary People Change the World series
Illustrated by Christopher Eliopoulis
2014 Dial Books for Young Readers
HC & paper
40 pgs.
Goodreads rating: 4.42 - 430 ratings
My rating: 5
Endpapers:  Yellow with repeated white bus imprint (pale)

1st line/s:  "I am Rosa Parks.  Growing up, I was small for my age.  I was sick a lot too, since we didn't have money for a doctor.  But that didn't mean I was weak."



My comments:  This is the second book I've read in this Brad Meltzer biography series for kids.  He does an exceptional job, and the mixture of text and graphic-novel-like speech clouds has been a surefire hit for all the kids I've shared these books with.  This one is more about the civil rights movement including Rosa Parks' huge part in it than her actual life (not a problem) - it's a wonderful overview and starting place for young kids on the roots of the civil right movement!  Real photos of Ms. Parks at the end.

Goodreads:  “Kids always search for heroes, so we might as well have a say in it,” Brad Meltzer realized, and so he envisioned this friendly, fun approach to biography – for his own kids, and for yours. Each book tells the story of one of America’s icons in a vivacious, conversational way that works well for the youngest nonfiction readers, those who aren’t quite ready for the Who Was biography series. Each book focuses on a particular character trait that made that role model heroic. For example, Rosa Parks dared to stand up for herself and other African Americans by staying seated, and as a result she helped end public bus segregation and launch the country’s Civil Rights Movement.

No comments: