Saturday, September 1, 2012

Brother Sun Sister Moon – Katherine Paterson

Saint Francis of Assisi’s Canticle of the Creatures
Illustrated by Pamela Dalton
Handprint Books/Chronicle, 2011
$17.99
28 pgs.
Goodreads rating:  4.07
My rating:  4  (The illustrations are a 5+, Paterson's words are beautiful, just a little too religious for me....I know, I know, that shouldn't impact my rating, but it does....)
Black background instead of white, cut paper and watercolor!  Magnificent illustrations.

Truly one of the most gorgeous books I know.  And they’re all watercolored PAPER CUTS !  All on a black background.  All spectacular.

The words, based on Saint Francis of Assisi’s Canticle of the Creatures, written around 1224, translated from the Umbrian text of the Assisi codex by Bill Barrett and now “reimagined” by Katherine Paterson, are extremely religious.  They praise god as creator, caretaker, comforter, and sustainer.  Although this is not at all my own personal cup-of-tea, removing some of the words and referring to the air – winds – sun, moon, stars – water – fire – earth – courage … and death ---as brothers and sisters, suits me just fine.

“We praise you that in this world of hatred and war, you still give us courageous brothers and sisters who offer their lives to the making of peace.  They are indeed your beloved children.”

No comments: