Tuesday, August 23, 2011

MOVIE - Mr. Popper's Penguins

A surprising delight!
Released 6-17-11
PG (1:35) "Rude Humor"
Mon. 8-22-11 at Crossroads with Rachel
RT: 48% cag: 90%
Director:  Mark S. Waters
Jim Carrey
Created from the book by the Atwaters - but it doesn't resemble the book AT ALL....which is okay....

I enjoyed every minute of this movie.  It was funny and clever.  I haven't read the book in ages, but Rachel just finished it and mentioned some of the extreme differences.  Mr. Popper in the book was a house painter.  They lived in a small town called Stillwater.  In the movie Tom Popper is a wealthy businessman living in a high rise, two-floor, floor-to-ceiling-windowed penthouse in New York City.  He receives the penguins as an unwanted gift from his late father, who Popper had idolized as a child, but who was physically missing from the boy's life.  At first they are a ridiculous pain in the butt, but as they imprint on Popper, his feelings for them change....

His ex-wife and two children begin to see a new side to this previously driven businessman.  There's one scene in his apartment, which has been turned into a snow and ice-filled winter wonderland, that is totally fun and cool.  There are LOTS of parts of this movie that are fun and cool.  I'd watch it again.  I called it delightful before, and I'll stick with that.  I loved it....and I can't believe that I did!

No comments: