Tuesday, August 9, 2011

MOVIE - Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows: Part 2

This is all Harry's movie - not enough of everyone else
Released 7-15-11
PG-13 (2:05)
Monday, 8-8-11 at El Con with Sheila
RT: 97%   cag: 79%
Director:  David Yates

This got fantastic reviews, so I was expecting to love it - I loved Part 1, a lot.  But I didn't love it.  I found some parts slow and almost boring.  Hermione and Ron had bit parts, it was all Harry's story.  I missed having more of the other characters.  I'd read the book and I'd seen Part one, but it's been awhile, so some of what was going on took awhile to figure out.  There were a couple of great scenes - the doubling riches in the vault at Gringots and when Harry finally sees the history of Snape's involvement in his life - but I was not enthralled.  I know, I'm in the minority here.

Harry and his two cohorts are on a quest to destroy the final horcruxes that have allowed Voldemort immortality.  They find one, a golden cup, in the vault at Gringot's, they find another, a tiara, at Hogworts.  They know the snake is another.  Much of this final movie takes place at Hogwort's, and it's really sad to see its demise.  Many of Harry's friends and members of the Order are killed, but this is not emphasized.

One of the two YA girls behind us cried through the whole movie.  Interesting.  And her reaction to the end was, "oh, I love this part."  From the book?  I think she'd seen this movie before, and it still affected her greatly.

1 comment:

sheila said...

It was a pleasure seeing the last Harry Potter with you, Chris, even if it wasn't your fave (wasn't mine either). But still, it's the end of an era and our tradition of seeing the HP movies together.