Friday, August 7, 2009

MOVIE - Public Enemies

Johnny Depp was great
Released July 1, 2009
R (2 hrs. 23 min.)
Reel Pizza Thurs 8/6 with Fran
RT: 67% cag: 88%
Director: Michael Mann

This machine-gunning love story had humor and great acting. John Dillinger - Public Enemy # 1 in the 30's, recreated by Johnny Depp and Michael Mann - was interesting and entertaining. The violence and mahem were expected, the smirk on Depp/Dillinger's face was beautiful, of course you were rooting for the bad guys....and the ending was perfect. Yes, it was indeed a love story. And how much of this was true? Was he really so smart? Was he really so cheeky? (Walking into the Chicago Police station and strolling into the Dillinger unit!) Or was he really just lucky? Between the book I'm currently reading and this movie, I am more-than-ever convinced that the FBI is, for the most part, ummmmm....... ineffective???

I'm really glad I saw this. Hadn't been planning to. Good movie.

1 comment:

sheila said...

Glad to read your review, Chris, since I respect your opinion and wasn't so sure I wanted to see it either. We had a beer with a couple recently who had just seen it. He didn't like it and she thought it was art. By the way, I'm so impressed with how much reading you do -- on vacation and while teaching!