Sunday, August 16, 2009

56. Lawn Boy - Gary Paulsen

For: Middle Grades (9-12)
Wendy Lamb Bks/Random House, 2007
HC $12.99
90 pgs.
Rating: 4.5

A very funny book, especially for a budding economist/ entrepreneur/ investor/ or wanna-be rich kid. Told in the first person from the point-of-view of a nameless 12 year-old, we see how an innocent old riding lawnmower, bestowed to him by his grandma, takes over his summer and turns him into an unwitting "thousandaire." But there are some delicious twists and turns along the way including some interestingly devoloped characters and sidekicks.

There are some parts of this easy-to-read short novel that might be difficult for kids too young - undocumented migrant workers, investment lingo, and chapter titles like "Labor Acquisition and Its Effect on Capital Growth" and "Businesss and the Art of Creative Misrepresentation" - which I must admit had me rolling in laughter, 'cause I did get it.....

As an adult I loved this story. I'll try it out on one or two fourth graders and see if they "get" it.

1 comment:

Iris E. said...

Dang, Chris! I am catching up on your posts and so many titles that I love are here! Sylvan is a HUGE Mercy fan (and Chris came to our library to give a GREAT author talk!). And Lawn Boy...oh, Gary Paulsen! How can you be so great? Isn't this a perfect one for a business math unit?!!!

I am taking a Materials for Tweens class this semester, which is already great. I am working on my final project already (!), a blog for 50 Tween titles/materials (some have to be non-print). If you want to check it out, it's here:
http://tweensreading.blogspot.com/
I would love your critique or title ideas. So far I am weighted towards girl titles, but that will change soon!

Miss you!!!
XO
Iris