Sunday, November 23, 2008

Wild Boars Cook - Meg Rosoff

Illustrator: Sophie Blackall
For: preschool-Gr 2
Published: Sept, 2008
Rating: 3.5
Read: This weekend
Endpapers: Closeup of the boar's fur

Snorting, stinky javelinas and I go way back, so this book, sitting on the new picture books shelf at the Golf Links branch library, stopped me in my tracks. The author, Meg Rosoff, wrote the 2005 Printz winner for Young Adults, How I Live Now. NOT a children's story. But this is different. The illustrations are a riot, and the story is fun. I can picture myself reading it to Ella and Brendan.

Boris, Morris, Horace, and Doris are "bossy and selfish and stinky and HUNGRY." When Doris finds a delicious recipe for a pudding, the all pitch in to make it the best ever, adding their own favorite ingredients (like broccoli, butter, bananas, squid, and muddy puddles). They create, they eat, they sleep for a short time, and they're hungry again!

The book ends with a real recipe for a MASSIVE COOKIE that kids and parents could make together.

Just plain fun. Great illustrations and large font.

No comments: