Saturday, November 8, 2008

Peter Spit a Seed at Sue - Jackie French Koller

Illustrator: John Manders
For: Kids
Published: June, 2008
Rating: 4 (Spitting in general is nasty, that's why I had to knock it down.)
Read: Last month
Endpapers: Watermelon pink

Reading this book left me with the same smile on my face as Taxi Dog always does. Using perfect, lovely rhyme and rhythm, Koller transforms a boring summer afternoon into a fun-loving, watermelon-dripping, seed-spitting adventure for an entire town.

"C"mon!" I yelled to Mary Lou,
"You pepper Pete, I'll pepper Sue!"
Then seeds were flyin' everywhere
Zippin', zingin' through the air.
Seeds were plastered to our clothes
Seeds were stuck between our toes.

Glorious, snazzy verbs - my first love when teaching good writing. And, the illustrations are whimsical and reach all the way to the edge of the pages.

No comments: