Sunday, March 22, 2020

Coronavirus Quarantine Day 9


Spring has sprung...not only because the spring equinox has come and gone, but because trees are budding, daffodils are blooming, and even the grass is turning green!


I hate to cook.  The majority of my cooking in recent years has been to heat things up.  Yesterday I baked a meatloaf and butternut squash.  Leftovers, AND a clean kitchen are the perks.  My tiny kitchen is so cluttered, I'm trying to figure out where to put everything.

I did go out this morning, to pick up an order at Walmart.  They were out of all the different meats I tried to order (hamburger, pork chops, bacon, and chicken).  They're still entirely out of toilet paper, but I still have four full rolls.  Not sure what I'll do when they run out.  I'll be imaginative, I'm sure, about both situations ... no meat ... no TP.

Laura made me a couple of face masks, and when delivering them yesterday (visiting for a few minutes on my front "patio," keeping a safe six feet apart) picked up my bag of garbage to add to hers.  We have to pay for special garbage bags here, and I don't want to go to any of the supermarkets to purchase them.  This worked out great, and I'm so grateful.  The only problem with wearing face masks is that my glasses get all steamed up.  I'll have to figure that one out!

I'm working on crumb quilting at my sewing machine...so addicting!  I think I'll make a batch of potholders out of them, get a jump start on Christmas presents for colleagues and family?  Sounds good!  I'm also adding flowers to my EPPed Christmas table runner AND picking up the crocheting I'm dong for the yarn bombing at the library in the fall.  I'm working on the brown boards of Noah's Ark using yarn from the 40's that feels like I'm crocheting with twine.



I planted a letterbox the other day, one I'd made for a postal.  I'm making a list of easy, drive-bys withing 75 miles of home so that I can get out on days that are sunny and warm without having to be around people.  I'm going to use the 13 plastic grocery bags I just got from Walmart as a "glove" (like when you're picking up dog poop) when I'm pumping gas or opening a door to a public place - like the eye doctor's when I have to return.

Very, very sad news is that my sister's best friend, Joanne, is on life support with the coronavirus.  She has a transplanted lung.  It seems so much more real when someone you know is hit than just reading the statistics.  Lots of positive energy going out to my sister and Joanne's family.

Today is March 22nd. It's always been a special day.  I was hoping my grandson, Brendan, would be born on the 22nd, but his birthday was yesterday, the 21st. (He turned 15!!)  Close!   Today is my grandmother's birthday.  It is my best friend, Fran's, birthday.  It is another very close friend, Susan's, birthday.  Susan died last August of a brain hemorrhage. Gram was born in 1903, 117 years ago!  And I facetimed with Fran for awhile this morning.  MADE MY DAY!  It'll always be a special day for me,

I'm anticipating this self-isolation/quarantine to go on for a couple of months.  The governor of Pennsylvania has been incredibly proactive, so I'm guessing the library will be closed indefinitely, not just for the two weeks that was originally anticipated.

What a world.

No comments: