Thursday, August 9, 2018

76. Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout

#1 Lux
listened on Audible
2011, Entangled Publishing
287 pgs.
YA SciFi/Dystopia
Finished 8/9/2018
Goodreads rating: 4.22 - 191,833 ratings
My rating:  2.5
Setting: Contemporary West Virginia

First line/s:  "I stared at the pile of boxes in my new bedroom, wishing the internet had been hooked up."

My comments:  What you see on the cover (any of the many) is pretty much what you get in the book.  Lots and lots of sexual tension and page after page of the same kind of banter and discourse.  The sci-fi and dystopian aspects, though interesting, were too much of a minor part of the story.  If I had a quarter for every time one of the characters asked, "are you okay," or "how are you feeling," I could purchase enough of these books to fill a whole shelf.  Felt somewhat like a Twilight wannabe, but not as well written, and I'm not even a big fan of the Twilight series.  The gal who read the book - I listened to it - had a breathy, ridiculous voice that turned me off completely other than the one she used for Deamon.  If the next book in the series was a 20-page summary, I would probably read it, but i think a full length novel would be just too painful.

Goodreads synopsis: Starting over sucks.
          When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I'd pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring.... until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.
          And then he opened his mouth.
          Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something...unexpected happens. 
          The hot alien living next door marks me.
          You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon's touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I'm getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades. 
          If I don't kill him first, that is.

No comments: