Tuesday, January 17, 2017

MOVIE - LA LA Land

PG-13 (2:08)
Limited release 12/9/16
Viewed Tuesday, 1/17/17 at RC Carlisle
IMBd: 8.8/10
RT Critic: 93   Audience:  88
Critic's Consensus:  La La Land breathes new life into a bygone genre with thrillingly assured direction, powerful performances, and an irresistible excess of heart.
Cag:  3.5 Liked it, but don't get the hype
Directed by Damien Chazelle
Liongate Films

Ryan Gosling, Emma Stone

My comments: Well, I'm really not sure what everyone is raving about.  The first third of the movie was really slow and I might even say boring.  Some of the singing and dancing were pretty random, some were perfect.  Performances were good...but Academy Award worthy?  It was certainly an homage to Hollywood and its roots.  And an interesting story, but nothing profound.  I was anticipating something really great, but, unfortunately, for me it wasn't.



RT/ IMDb SummaryThe story of Mia, an aspiring actress, and Sebastian, a dedicated jazz musician, struggling to make ends meet while pursuing their dreams in a city known for destroying hopes and breaking hearts. With modern day Los Angeles as the backdrop, this musical about everyday life explores what is more important: a once-in-a-lifetime love or the spotlight.

1 comment:

sheila said...

I haven't seen it yet for that very reason. I don't think it will live up to the hype, plus I'm not big on musicals. Although, as you know, I so want to see "Hamilton!"