Tuesday, March 31, 2015

25. Booked to Die - John Dunning

Cliff Janeway #1
Audio read by George Guidall
Unabridged (11:03)
1992 Scribner
394 pgs.
Adult Murder Mystery
Finished 3/29/2015
Goodreads rating:
My rating:  (5) Awesome
Audible download
Setting: Late 1980s Denver, CO

My comments:  :As I first began reading this, even though I knew it was a "bibliomystery" (love that word!), the fact that it was a contemporary mystery from over 20 years ago put me off a bit, I'm not sure why.  However, it didn't take long for me to become entirely engrossed.  There's mystery; and submystery; and the fun of building up a new bookselling enterprise; and insight into the book-buying buisiness; and lots of intricate, interesting, well-fleshed-out characters in a fascinating setting (Denver).  I couldn't put it down (read/listened to the entire thing over a 24-hour period) and now I want more.  As fast-paced as it was, I don't think Mr. Dunning missed a trick.  Excellent storytelling, plotting, characterization.  Loved it.

Goodreads book summary:  Denver homicide detective Cliff Janeway may not always play by the book, but he is an avid collector of rare and first editions. After a local bookscout is killed on his turf, Janeway would like nothing better than to rearrange the suspect's spine. But the suspect, local lowlife Jackie Newton, is a master at eluding the law, and Janeway's wrathful brand of off-duty justice costs him his badge. 
          Turning to his lifelong passion, Janeway opens a small bookshop -- all the while searching for evidence to put Newton away. But when prized volumes in a highly sought-after collection begin to appear, so do dead bodies. Now, Janeway's life is about to start a precarious new chapter as he attempts to find out who's dealing death along with vintage Chandlers and Twains.

No comments: