Sunday, March 8, 2015

18. Rules of Prey - John Sandford

#1 Lucas Davenport (a very lengthy series)
Read on my iPhone/through Kindles
1989
479 pgs.
Adult Murder Mystery
Finished 3/1/2015
Goodreads rating: 4.14
My rating: 4
Setting: Twin Cities (Minneapolis/St. Paul) MN

1st sentence/s

My comments:  After reading (and loving) all of Sandford's books about Virgil Flowers, I decided it was time I tried out a Lucas Davenport.  My son, who has read them all, told me I should really start from the first title.  So I did!  Published in 1989, and without some of the modern technology that I've been used to having included, the story or Davenport's pursuit of Mad Dog is cleverly intricate, looking at things from both protagonist and antagonist's points of view.  Lucas Davenport is so cocky, street, savvy, and just-plain interesting that he intrigues me....but not as much as Virgil!  Rules of Prey is plot-driven and character-driven, and I look forward to more in the series written in this vein.

Goodreads book summary: The "maddog" murderer who is terrorizing the Twin Cities is two things: insane and extremely intelligent. He kills for the pleasure of it and thoroughly enjoys placing elaborate obstacles to keep police befuddled. Each clever move he makes is another point of pride. But when the brilliant Lieutenant Lucas Davenport--a dedicated cop and a serial killer's worst nightmare--is brought in to take up the investigation, the maddog suddenly has an adversary worthy of his genius.

No comments: