Sunday, October 5, 2014

POETRY PICTURE BOOK - Dear Hot Dog - Mordicai Gerstein

Illustrated by the author
2011, Abrams Books for Young Readers
HC $16.95
32 pgs.
Goodreads rating: 3.49
My rating: 4
Endpapers: Bright, sunny yellow
Title Page:  Across the two pages the little girl is waking up as the sign rises behind her prone figure.
Illustrations: Acrylics on paper.

Toothbrush

All night
dozing in your holder
you wait for me.
I give you toothpaste
for breakfast,
mint,
your favorite flavor.
Then you go to work
in the foamy, pink
cave of my mouth,
scouring and scrubbing,
gargling your little song;
shreds of carrot,
pebbles of peanut,
cracker crumbs
hiding in cracks
---all washed away.
I rinse you off, and
back in your holder
you sigh and dry.
As my day begins,
you go back
to sleep.

Socks

I never stop
to think about socks,
and if I get them
for a birthday present
from Aunt Adi,
I'm disappointed.
You can't play
with socks.
But now,
with wind rattling
the icy windows,
putting on these
soft, thick, red ones
makes me happy
all day.


Ice-Cream Cone

I hold you high against the sky
like Liberty's torch,
a snow-topped,
milky mountain,
while rivers
of vanilla slide
over my fingers
and down my sleeve.
I turn you and lick you,
and with every lick
there's less of you.
Come back!
I see you hiding
deep in the cone.  
I bit off its 
bottom tip
and the very las of you
dribbles into my mouth.
I give the cone
to my little brother.
He likes them.
I don't.
My comments:  Great poems, from the point-of-view of three different boys during the day.Toothbrush, Pants, Toes (! !) Socks, Shoes, Cup, Bowl, Kite, Air, Water, Summer Sun, Hot Dog, Ice-Cream Cone, Leaves, Rain, Books, Crayons, Scissors, Spaghetti, Bear, Light, and Pillow!  Great poems!

Goodreads:  Whether it’s slurping up spaghetti or catching some sun at the beach, the everyday wonders celebrated in this collection of poems will appeal to young readers.
          Cleverly crafted by Mordicai Gerstein, Dear Hot Dog follows three friends from the time they wake up and brush their teeth to when they snuggle up for bed with their favorite stuffed animal. In between playing outside, making crafts, eating their favorite treats, and reading, together they delight in the adventure and magic that each day brings. Gerstein’s vibrant illustrations and lighthearted verse make Dear Hot Dog a great introduction to poetry for young readers
.

No comments: