Tuesday, October 14, 2014

64. Pay It Forward - Catherine Ryan Hyde

Young Reader's Edition
2014 Paula Wiseman, Simon & Schuster
274 pgs.
Supposedly for kids-middle grades; see my comments
Finished 10/9/14
Goodreads rating: 3.93
My rating:   2/ It was okay...
TPPL
Includes discussion questions

1st sentence/s:  Prologue - "Maybe someday I'll have kids of my own.  I hope so.  If I do, they'll probably ask what part I played in the movement that changed the world. And because I'm not the person I once was, I'll tell them the truth.  My part was nothing.  I did nothing.  I was just the guy in the corner taking notice."

My comments:  A "2" means that it was okay, not that it was horrible.....but I wish I liked it more.  I really want to.  I wanted to read it aloud to my class.  But I don't think it would hold their attention - I think it's too disjointed and adult-centered.  It just doesn't strike me as a book for kids.  There's too much from the adult point-of-view and nowhere near enough from the kid's.  And not telling the ending seems a huge cop-out.  The book deals with crime and being down-and-out...if it's based on a true story, after reading about people's problems that we don't really care so much about, why not be truthful about the ending, too?

Love the cover.

Goodreads book summaryThe internationally bestselling book that inspired the Pay It Forward movement is now available in a middle grade edition.
          Pay It Forward is a moving, uplifting novel about Trevor McKinney, a twelve-year-old boy in a small California town who accepts his teacher;s challenge to earn extra credit by coming up with a plan to change the world. Trevor;s idea is simple: do a good deed for three people, and instead of asking them to return the favor, ask them to ;pay it forward; to three others who need help. He envisions a vast movement of kindness and goodwill spreading across the world, and in this quiet, steady masterpiece with an incandescent ending; (Kirkus Reviews), Trevor's actions change his community forever.
          This middle grade edition of Pay It Forward is extensively revised, making it an appropriate and invaluable complement to lesson plans and an ideal pick for book clubs, classroom use, and summer reading. Includes an author'snote and curriculum guide.

No comments: