Wednesday, August 27, 2014

53. Scarlet - Marissa Meyer

#2 The Lunar Chronicles
Audio read by Rebecca Soler
9 unabridged cds
2013 Macmillan Audiobook
452 pgs.
YA Dystopia/Fantasy/SciFi
Finished 8/26/14
Goodreads rating:  4.31
My rating:  4.5 (It was really good)
Acquired TPPL
France and in orbit above earth - in the near future

My comments:  I think I might have liked this second book in the series better than the first.  I love the way that Ms. Meyer weaves in fairy tale characteristics both subtly and not-so-subtly.  I'm so glad that Scarlet figured Wolf out right away and didn't keep throwing his wickedness back at him. And we all know what happened to Granny when she encountered the big bad wolf, but I sure would have liked to hear just a little more of her story.  Lastly, I've got to say that I love the character of Iko (I've only listened to this on audio, so I don't know the spelling), who is the little robot character that has now become the mind of the spaceship.  Looking forward to the next installment in the series!

Goodreads book summary:  Cinder, the cyborg mechanic, returns in the second thrilling installment of the bestselling Lunar Chronicles. She's trying to break out of prison--even though if she succeeds, she'll be the Commonwealth's most wanted fugitive. Halfway around the world, Scarlet Benoit's grandmother is missing. It turns out there are many things Scarlet doesn't know about her grandmother or the grave danger she has lived in her whole life. When Scarlet encounters Wolf, a street fighter who may have information as to her grandmother's whereabouts, she is loath to trust this stranger, but is inexplicably drawn to him, and he to her. As Scarlet and Wolf unravel one mystery, they encounter another when they meet Cinder. Now, all of them must stay one step ahead of the vicious Lunar Queen Levana, who will do anything for the handsome Prince Kai to become her husband, her king, her prisoner.

No comments: