Thursday, May 9, 2013

17. Two Graves - Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child

Pendergast #12
read by Rene Auberjonois
14 unabridged cds/ 16.5 hours
Hachette Audio, 2012 $39.98
484 pgs.
TPPL
Goodreads rating: 3.93
cag rating: 3/Liked some of it....

My comments:  I was on and off about this one. I think that if I had read even one previous story about this odd FBI agent I might have liked him better. I didn't really like him at all until the last chapter, when his personality took a complete turnaround, almost unnaturally. The fighting scene, which the entire book was building up to, may have been enjoyed by lots of readers but for me it dragged on and on and on. The antagonist is still on the loose, so I'm sure an upcoming title (or titles) will include him. I do like the way that two other stories were woven into the book along with the main plot. I'd love to read more about Corey....  (Oh, one more comment.  Although I love the flawless reading the Mr. Auberjonois gave it, the way he read the protagonist helped instill in me the feeling that Pendergast was incredibly pretentious!) 


Goodreads synopsis:  For twelve years, he believed she died in an accident. Then, he was told she'd been murdered. Now, FBI Special Agent Aloysius Pendergast discovers that his beloved wife Helen is alive. But their reunion is cut short when Helen is brazenly abducted before his eyes. And Pendergast is forced to embark on a furious cross-country chase to rescue her.

But all this turns out to be mere prologue to a far larger plot: one that unleashes a chillingly-almost supernaturally-adept serial killer on New York City. And Helen has one more surprise in store for Pendergast: a piece of their shared past that makes him the one man most suited to hunting down the killer.
His pursuit of the murderer will take Pendergast deep into the trackless forests of South America, to a hidden place where the evil that has blighted both his and Helen's lives lies in wait . . . a place where he will learn all too well the truth of the ancient proverb:
Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves.

No comments: