Monday, December 1, 2008

MOVIE: Twilight

Entertaining-pretty much what I expected
Viewed: Thanksgiving Night 11/27/08
Dreamcatcher Theater, north of Santa Fe, NM
Rotten Tomato Rating: 43%
Mine: Oh, let's say 60%
EW: B cag: B
Genre: Teen (lots of guys there, so not a chick-flick)
Released 11/21/08
PG-13 (2 hrs 2 min)
Directed by: Catherine Hardwicke
adaptation of the book by Stephanie Meyer

I couldn't wait to see how this book would tranlsate onto the screen. It was entertaining, the story was easy to follow and very silmilar to the book. However, I wasn't really thrilled...Harry Potter thrilled, particularly....and I've mulled over the reason.

Edward-of-the-movie just wasn't my Edward-of-the-book. Bella was fine. Her dad was perfect. The Cullen family worked beautifully (Alice was particularly good). But if Edward dosn't work - the movie doesn't completely work.

Bella moves from Phoenix and her mom to Forks, WA and her dad. She is immediately drawn to Edward Cullen, and he to her. Edward's family are all vampires that have diverted from a vampire's usual path --- they want to live as average people, not killing to find the blood that sustains them. They are strong and fast and sparkle in the sunshine. They are still stronly drawn to sucking blood, but work hard to overcome that desire. Bella falls in love with Edward in an all-consuming way. She cares about nothing else. Something else that bothers me.....

The movie seemed to follow the book quite well. I wish I'd been thrilled.

No comments: