Wednesday, December 3, 2008

MOVIE: Rachel Getting Married

Rating: Unsettling
Viewed: Tuesday, Dec. 2, 2008
El Con with Laraine
Rotten Tomato Rating: 88%
Mine: 25% (Acting 85%)
EW: A cag: C-
Genre: Drama
Released: October 3, 2008
R (1 hr 53 min)
Directed by: Jonathan Demme
Anne Hathaway, Debra Winger

Anne Hathaway was amazing. The move was boring and nauseating. Literally nauseating. It looked like a hand-held camera wobbling and wobbly, jumpy and amateur. I'm sure it was purposely done, but I couldn't stand it. The wedding guests who were always in the background for an entire endless day after day played screechy, bad music...constantly.....until I was ready to scream. There was a dishwasher scene that went on f o r e v e r and the reception was absolutely endless. Out of the two hours I enjoyed about 30 minutes - the 30 minutes that Anne Hathaway was front and center.

Anne Hathaway played Kym, a recovering drug-addict that has left rehab (after about 9 months) to attend her sister Rachel's wedding. Yes, she's a bit self-centered at first, but what she needs in her life is to get some issues with her family out in the open. Unfortunately, a big family wedding is not the place to do it...but it needs to happen. I really liked the story, I hated the lengthy scenes, wobbly filming, and hair-raising accompanying music. I loved the story and the acting. However, when you can't wait for a movie to end, you can't rate the movie very high. And I thought this movie would never end.

No comments: