Saturday, August 8, 2015

51. Ruby Red - Kersten Geir

Precious Stone Trilogy #1
listened to on Audible
translated from German by Anthea Bell
330 pgs.
YA Dystopia/Time Travel
Finished 8/8/15
Goodreads rating: 4.12
My rating: 4

First sentence/s:  "I first felt it in the school canteen on Monday morning.  For a moment it was like being on a roller coaster when you're racing down from the very top.  It lasted only two seconds, but that was long enough for me to dump a plateful of mashed potatoes and gravy all over my school uniform.  I managed to catch the plate just in time, as my knife and fork clattered tot he floor."

My comments:  I listened to this first in the series with its lovely lilting accent, making it very British indeed.  Time flew by as I sewed and listened.  I jut wish that Gwyneth would speak up for herself a little more other than just thinking her feelings.  Nothing seemed at all familiar to me...until I went to enter it onto my book list and see I'd already read it.  Nothing seemed familiar at all!  So weird.  But you can see my first review here.  It's a pretty decent review!

Goodreads synopsis:  Gwyneth Shepherd's sophisticated, beautiful cousin Charlotte has been prepared her entire life for traveling through time. But unexpectedly, it is Gwyneth, who in the middle of class takes a sudden spin to a different era!
          Gwyneth must now unearth the mystery of why her mother would lie about her birth date to ward off suspicion about her ability, brush up on her history, and work with Gideon--the time traveler from a similarly gifted family that passes the gene through its male line, and whose presence becomes, in time, less insufferable and more essential. Together, Gwyneth and Gideon journey through time to discover who, in the 18th century and in contemporary London, they can trust.

No comments: