Saturday, January 11, 2014

MOVIE - Nebraska

R (1:50)
Limited release 11-15-2013
Viewed Friday, 1-10-14 at ElCon
RT Critic:  92  Audience: 88
Cag: Hard to say right now, but I think this one will stay with me for a long time.  At first I watched it as a drama and I was just depressed (although marveled at Bruce Dern's acting), but then, about halfway through, I started considering it a comedy (a dramatic one, to be sure) and wished I watched it from the beginning thinking about it as a comedy.  Perhaps it just turned into one along the way?  But then I loved it!  And that's how I'm going to rate it - I loved it! The second half was awesome!
Directed by Alexander Payne
Paramount Pictures
Black & White

Actors:  Bruce Dern, Will Forte, June Squibb, Stacey Keach

Reviews:  Director Alexander Payne (Sideways, The Descendants) takes the helm for this black and white road trip drama starring Bruce Dern as a tempestuous Montana father who's convinced he's won a million dollar magazine sweepstakes, and Will Forte as the son who grudgingly agrees to drive him to Nebraska to claim his winnings.


My comments:  I've already mentioned my feelings about this as a drama.  Since I'm dealing with the aging process myself right now, I found Bruce Dern's condition, life, AND surroundings incredibly depressing.  I guess the black and whiteness of the film added to that feeling - which, I imaagine, it was meant to.  I was enthralled by Will Forte's character right from the beginning.  He was mesmerizing to me - I think he is incredibly good looking and I wanted to know more about his life.  One review I read says that his character is estranged from the father...I did not get that at all.  He was certainly empathetic.  And then when the mother, played so incredibly brilliantly by June Squibb arrived in Henderson, I sat back and just started to enjoy the film.  I found myself laughing over and over, more and more.  Those brothers!  Those cousins!  Those residents of Henderson!  Bruce Dern was amazing and almost a little too believable, Will Forte was glorious, but June Squibb was the cherry on top!

No comments: